Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Example Project...You'll need to write five of these

Mr. Melgarejo
January 12, 2010
The Many Hats We Wear

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Cousin/Nephew/Grandson

There is a hat that we all wear from time to time, but we are uncertain of how to wear it. It feels uncomfortable at forced meetings that occur on holidays like Christmas and Thanksgiving. We often complain about the relatives we do not want to see and also look forward to our favorite aunts and uncles that we do not get to see too often. These uncles make us laugh and smile with stories of their youth or stories of our parents getting in to mischief in their younger years.

Most recently I have just learned how to wear this hat. I never felt a connection to my extended family. The only relative I really looked forward to seeing was my older cousin David. He was goofy and usually made me laugh. He also had a collection of Sega and Nintendo games which kept me entertained for the hours we spent at his parent’s house in Elk Grove Village. I never felt a connection to these foreign like relatives.

It was not until most recently that I learned how to wear this hat. Last year I was in search of the unknown family from my father’s side. During this great adventure I traveled over 18,000 miles by taking trips to Peru and New York. This all lead to the door step of my Great Uncle Alberto. When we met I no longer had that uncomfortable feeling of being with family. Instead I had a feeling of connectivity. I had that connection with all my lost family. A connection forged in a hand shake, an embrace, or even just a smile. I now wear my family hat with pride as I go on to search for more family.

No comments:

Post a Comment